A Governor is a qualified professional employed by parents to educate the children in their private household. Governors are highly educated individuals who fill the role of both teacher and academic mentor for the children. Generally governors are not responsible for the general care giving tasks but are primarily focused on education.
Although the role used to be primarily for females, the role of Governor is becoming more and more popular in families with boys, where a governor is more able to meet the needs and demands of their charges as well as serve a great role model.
DUTIES OF A GOVERNOR
- A Governor is a teacher and academic mentor to children in private households whereby they supplement or replace their school education.
- A Governor promotes intellectual, educational and social development.
- A Governor coordinates and provides leisure activities, extra curriculum and educational excursions.
- A Qualified British Governor will have a teaching background or have higher childcare education and a minimum of 3 years professional childcare or teaching experience.
- A Bilingual Governor teaches a second language (French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, etc).
- A Governor may also specialise and teach Music, Arts, Sports or Languages.
- A Governor is expected to teach etiquette and promote good manners and behaviour
WORKING HOURS OF A GOVERNOR
Each family will create a schedule and shift pattern unique to them. On average most governors work approximately 8 to 10 hours a day usually with 2 days off. Different working shift patterns such as one week on/one week off can sometimes be agreed. It is normally expected that a Governor will travel with the family.
SALARY OF A GOVERNOR
On average most governesses earn between £800 – £1300 per week dependent on age, experience and qualifications
Whether you are a client seeking a new candidate for your family, team or business or wish to know more about the services we offer please register with Duke & Duchess International, please register online. A consultant will be in touch to discuss your needs.
LOOKING TO WORK WITH US?
We place qualified and experienced professionals holding childcare, maternity nurse and teaching qualifications
- Temporary Nanny required for G1, located in Opatija, Croatia, Salary £500 – £700 gross per week, Live-out. 2-month contract, starting 1st June.
- Temporary Native English-speaking Maternity Nurse required for Newborn in London, Salary £250 – £350 gross per day, EDD June 14th, 14-week contract
- Temporary English speaking Maternity Nurse required for new-born (EDD 9th July) & G1 located in London & California, £250 – £300 per day. Start 23rd June, 6-week contract.
- Full-time Native English-speaking Governess/Teacher required for B6, located in Colchester, UK. Salary £55,000 gross per annum + bonus, Start ASAP
- Full-time Native English-speaking Governess/Teacher required for B6, located in Colchester, UK. Salary £45,000 – £55,000 gross per annum, Start ASAP