A Governess is a qualified professional employed by parents to educate the children in their private household. Governesses are highly educated individuals who fill the role of both teacher and academic mentor for the children. Generally governesses are not responsible for the general care giving tasks but are primarily focused on education.
DUTIES OF A GOVERNESS
- A Governess is a teacher and academic mentor to children in private households whereby they supplement or replace their school education.
- A Governess promotes intellectual, educational and social development.
- A Governess coordinates and provides leisure activities, extra curriculum and educational excursions.
- A qualified British Governess will have a teaching background or have higher childcare education and a minimum of 3 years professional childcare or teaching experience.
- A bilingual Governess teaches a second language (French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, etc).
- A Governess may also specialise and teach Music, Arts, Sports or Languages.
- A Governess is expected to teach etiquette and promote good manners and behaviour
WORKING HOURS OF A GOVERNESS
Each family will create a schedule and shift pattern unique to them. On average most governesses work approximately 8 to 10 hours a day usually with 2 days off. Different working shift patterns such as one week on/one week off can sometimes be agreed. It is normally expected that a Governess will travel with the family.
SALARY OF A GOVERNESS
On average most governesses earn between £800 – £1300 per week dependent on age, experience and qualifications.
Whether you are a client seeking a new candidate for your family, team or business or wish to know more about the services we offer please register with Duke & Duchess International, please register online. A consultant will be in touch to discuss your needs.
LOOKING TO WORK WITH US?
We place qualified and experienced professionals holding childcare, maternity nurse and teaching qualifications
- Temporary English speaking Maternity Nurse required for Newborn in the South of France, Salary €300 – €400 per day, starting June 1st, 2-month contract.
- Full-time Nanny required for B19 months and B15 months located in South of France, New York & LA, Salary $100,000 – $130,000+ per annum, Live in & out. Start ASAP
- Full-time Rota Nanny required for B19 months and B15 months located in France and America. Salary €300 – €400 per day, one month on/off. Live in. Start ASAP.
- Full-time Spanish speaking Nanny, required for B6 months, located in Manhatten, New York. Salary from $45,760 per annum + overtime. Live out. Start in March 2020.
- Full-time English-speaking Governess required for G6, located in Dubai, £900 – £1100 per week. Live in. Start ASAP