A Governess is a qualified professional employed by parents to educate the children in their private household. Governesses are highly educated individuals who fill the role of both teacher and academic mentor for the children. Generally governesses are not responsible for the general care giving tasks but are primarily focused on education.
DUTIES OF A GOVERNESS
- A Governess is a teacher and academic mentor to children in private households whereby they supplement or replace their school education.
- A Governess promotes intellectual, educational and social development.
- A Governess coordinates and provides leisure activities, extra curriculum and educational excursions.
- A qualified British Governess will have a teaching background or have higher childcare education and a minimum of 3 years professional childcare or teaching experience.
- A bilingual Governess teaches a second language (French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, etc).
- A Governess may also specialise and teach Music, Arts, Sports or Languages.
- A Governess is expected to teach etiquette and promote good manners and behaviour
WORKING HOURS OF A GOVERNESS
Each family will create a schedule and shift pattern unique to them. On average most governesses work approximately 8 to 10 hours a day usually with 2 days off. Different working shift patterns such as one week on/one week off can sometimes be agreed. It is normally expected that a Governess will travel with the family.
SALARY OF A GOVERNESS
On average most governesses earn between £800 – £1300 per week dependent on age, experience and qualifications.
Whether you are a client seeking a new candidate for your family, team or business or wish to know more about the services we offer please register with Duke & Duchess International, please register online. A consultant will be in touch to discuss your needs.
LOOKING TO WORK WITH US?
We place qualified and experienced professionals holding childcare, maternity nurse and teaching qualifications
- Full-time English speaking Nanny required for three siblings age 4 months. Located in Singapore and the USA, Salary from £1100 – £1250 per week (+ bonus/increments), Live in. Start March 2020.
- Full-time English speaking Governess required in London, for two boys aged 6 & 8, £30,000 – £35,000 gross per annum, live in/out start February.
- Full-time English speaking Governess/teacher required for B4, located in New York & Aspen, Salary $1300 – $2300 per week. Live out. Start ASAP.
- Full-time Nanny required for B19 months and B15 months located in New York, LA, France, Salary $100,000 – $130,000+ per annum, Live in & out. Start January 2020.
- Full-time English speaking Nanny (Rota) required for G4 years & B2, located in Zurich, Switzerland, €300-€350 per day, Rota position 10 days on/10 days off, start ASAP.